In 1960, during the filming of the movie “Mutiny on the” Bounty “,” Marlon Brando came to the island of Tetiaroa in French Polynesia. Overwhelmed by the beauty of the local nature, Polynesian way of life and his counterpart in the filming Tarita Teriipia, who became his third and last wife, Brando decided to buy this piece of paradise.
In 1967, he bought Tetiaroa – atoll not far from Tahiti, consisting of 12 small Polynesian islands lying in a stunningly beautiful serene lagoon.
(Total 14 photos)
1. Renaming the island in “Brando”, the actor spent the next 50 years of his life, tenderly caring for his nature.
3. But this piece of paradise was available not only for the actor and his “entourage” – geologists and archaeologists also could work there.
4. Brando really wanted to preserve the natural beauty of Tetiaroa, its biological diversity and cultural richness.
5. He tried to find a way to make the island a center for research and education, as well as a reasonable model of sustainable development.
6. He was sure that this small atoll can do good for the planet.
7. “I always calm down, when imagining, as I sit at night on his island in the South Seas. If I could, I would forever preserve the pristine nature of Tetiaroa, a place that resembles the Haitians who they are and who they were a centuries ago, “- said Marlon Brando.
8. Despite the fact that the actor has built 12 huts with palm roofs along the coast of one of the islands – Motu Onetahi, it was very far from what he was planning.
9. Now that since the death of the actor has been more than 10 years, the Brando’s island passed into the hands of Tahitian developer. In July 2014 the island was reopened as one of the best eco-friendly resort in the world.
10. Along the coast of the island Motu Onex are located 35 private villas, two gourmet restaurants, two bars, a luxurious spa and an orchard. Brando’s Island – this is truly a luxurious self-contained environment in which are supported life principles of the actor Brando.
11. Instead of building houses on the water, as is done in other island resorts of Polynesia, the developers decided to build a villa far away from the beach, so as not to interfere with the sea turtles in their natural habitat.
12. To protect the reef and its inhabitants, get to the island you can only on a private jet.
13. How to get here: airlines all over the world fly to the international airport in Papeete, Tahiti. And from there a private jet will take you directly to Tetiaroa. The flight lasts 20 minutes.
14. How much it cost:
Prices for one-bedroom villa on the island of Brando starts from 2400 euros per night. Maximum price for the villa – 7200 euros (three bedrooms). All prices include food and drinks, and daily spa treatments and a variety of leisure activities.